Office of Residential Life

Location:   Exeter House, 1st Floor
Phone:     (401) 232-6140
Website:   Residential Life

Terms and Conditions of the Occupancy and Board Contract

The Office of Residential Life is committed to promoting a comfortable living environment where learning is promoted outside of the classroom by engaging students in their residence hall communities. Residential Life strives to foster an environment that develops students academically, socially, and globally by creating opportunities for students to connect with their peers within an inclusive and diverse community.


Leadership Team: Assistant Dean, Senior Associate Director, Associate Director, Assistant Director, and an Office Coordinator. The leadership team is responsible for the management oversight of the department, setting departmental goals, policies and procedures, as well as serve as University officials on call in case of after-hours campus emergencies.

Community Directors: Full time professionals who are responsible for the daily operations in all residential spaces, supervise the student RA staff, adjudicate student discipline cases, provide mediation and support services to resident students, and oversee social and educational programs offered in the residence halls. The Community Directors live on campus to serve as University officials in case of after-hours emergencies on campus.

Resident Assistants (RAs): sophomore, junior, and senior student leaders who live in the halls to serve as a resource for students, organize activities, uphold policies and create an environment conducive to learning. These 64 paraprofessional staff members promote personal growth, social responsibility, and intellectual development through community-based interactions in our residence halls.


Community Directors and Resident Assistants create opportunities for residents to connect through social, educational, and cultural experiences. These opportunities provide a fun way to connect with your residence hall community. Additionally, each residential area has a Community Council which provides leadership, programming, and hall advocacy opportunities to residents in each community. Community Council is a fun way to get involved in your community.


Bryant University provides progressive housing options that are designed to foster a gradual increase of independent lifestyle and individual responsibility. Our residential campus is comprised of three main areas of campus: residential houses, the suite village and the townhouses. All housing options provide amenities including card access at each entrance, Wi-Fi internet access, and standard furniture.

First-Year Residential Houses

First-year students are placed together to assist with the transition to college life and live in Bristol House, Warren House, and Barrington House. First-year communities allow students to meet people with similar interests and form lasting friendships. First-Year residential houses provide amenities including card access at each entrance, air conditioning, and wireless internet access. All rooms are equipped with a twin XL bed, desk & desk chair, bureau, closet/wardrobe for each student.

Warren House and Bristol House

These two residence halls are reserved entirely for first year students. They are four story, co-educational halls with north and south wings. Housing 600 students, wings are gender specific with a community bathroom. Each hall offers a lobby/lounge area fully equipped with recreational games, vending machines, TV, kitchenette, laundry room, and residence hall staff office.

Traditional Style Double – this is a shared bedroom with one other student. Shared bathroom facilities are located in each hallway.
Traditional Style Triple – this is a shared bedroom with two other students. Shared bathroom facilities are located in each hallway.
Traditional Style Quad – this is a shared bedroom with three other students; all students have ample space as this room is very spacious. Shared bathroom facilities are in each hallway.

Warren House and Bristol House are also home to living learning communities including the Honors LLC (Warren House) and Women’s Leadership Living Learning Community WLLLC (Bristol House). Living learning communities are residential environments connecting experiences both inside and outside of the classroom. The Honors LLC provides educational and professional development opportunities including scholarship presentations, visits to businesses, non-profits, museums, and government organizations in the region. This community enables students to connect with Honors faculty, peer mentors, staff, and alumni. The WLLLC is a uniquely designed multi-year program providing women-identifying students with critical skills and approaches supporting their success as leaders in and beyond the campus community. Students are guided by committed faculty and staff from Residential Life, the Hochberg Women’s Center, Academic Advising, and College of Arts and Sciences. Through workshops and events, students gain awareness of the importance of civic engagement and social justice, intersectionality, and inclusive practices that help them develop as ethical leaders.

Barrington House

Barrington House is a four story, co-educational hall for 276 first-year and upper-class students. Suite style living offers four double bedrooms, one single bedroom, living room area and a private bathroom. Some suites also contain one large triple room. Barrington House is organized by gender with each suite assigned to a specific gender. A main lounge/lobby is complete with recreational games, vending machines, TV, kitchenette, laundry room, and residence hall staff office. The Office of Health Services is also housed in Barrington House.

Suite Style Double – this is a shared bedroom with one other student that opens into a suite. Shared bathroom facilities are located in each suite.
Suite Style Triple Room* – this is a shared bedroom with two other students that opens into a suite. Shared bathroom facilities are located in each suite.
Suite Style Single Room** – this is a private bedroom that opens into a suite. Shared bathroom facilities are located in each suite.

Suite Village Housing

The Suite Village is a collection of 13 identical residence halls and Newport House, surrounding a central lawn and volleyball court. The Suite Village offers two or three double bedrooms, a living room, and a private bath for sophomore, junior, and senior students. The Suite Village includes Charlestown House, Richmond House, Kilcup House, Westerly House, Hopkinton House, Exeter House, Coventry House, Scituate House, Tiverton House, Providence House, Jamestown House, Cumberland House, and Lincoln House.

Newport House

Newport House is a five story, co-educational hall consisting of 6 & 7-person suites. The building accommodates 200 students in suites with 3 double rooms or 2 double rooms and a triple room, a communal living room, as well as a common bathroom. This style of bathroom is divided into 2 separate shower rooms, and one bathroom with a sink and toilet. The building’s main floor is fully equipped with vending machines, television, a seating area, and Community Director’s office.


Students who have an SCN of 5 or above are eligible to apply for townhouse housing during the housing selection process. Townhouse housing is primarily available to senior students. Each townhouse has a full kitchen with a refrigerator, stove, and dishwasher and two full bathrooms, one on each floor.

Students can choose to live in either a double or single room within their townhouse. The 5-person townhouses (A-G blocks) consist of 3 single rooms and 1 double room, with shared laundry facility in the Townhouse Community Center (*E Block houses have in-unit laundry). The 7-person townhouses (H-P Blocks) consist of 3 double rooms and 1 single room, with in-unit laundry machines. Parking is available either directly in front of the townhouse unit or in a large lot in the rear of N block.


The Housing Selection process determines housing assignments for the following year and is conducted in the spring semester each year. Students residing in on-campus housing, a University recognized study abroad program, or currently as a commuter student are eligible to participate. Any current undergraduate student who is eligible for housing but fails to pay the housing deposit and/or does not complete the application and housing selection process by May 1st will be housed only on a space-available basis. Students should contact the Office of Residential Life for additional information. Housing for graduate students is not available.


Medical Accommodation Housing Requests
Any resident who is requesting medical accommodations must complete and a medical accommodation form through MyHousing. Please keep in mind that your health care provider must complete the “Medical/Health Care Provider Information” section of the form.

Medical Accommodation Housing Requests must be completed and submitted to the Office of Residential Life by the following deadlines: Fall Semester by March 8th for returning students and July 1st for first-year and incoming transfer students, November 1st for the Spring semester, and May 1st for the Summer session.

*No medical accommodation requests will be reviewed after the applicable deadline*

Students will be notified as to the status of their application. Students who have received a medical accommodation in the past will not automatically be granted the accommodation again and must reapply. Accommodations are only granted on a semester/yearly basis.

Additionally, any approved accommodations are for an individual student only. The approved accommodations do not apply to friends or housing groups. Student may elect to stay with a housing group and decline an accommodation or accept an accommodation and be placed in a setting that best meets their need.

For students requesting an accommodation for a single room, Residential Life reserves the right to assign students to a specific room assignment.

Service Animals and Emotional Support Animals 

Service Animal is a specially trained and documented animal that has been specifically trained to provide assistance to an individual with a disability. Service Animals are not pets but rather working animals which provide a service that specifically serves and relates to the limitations and needs of the person with the disability. Providing emotional support and/or comfort does not qualify an animal as a Service Animal.

Emotional Support Animals are not Service Animals under ADA as they do not perform a specific work task. In some circumstances, Emotional Support Animals may be allowed in the residence halls, however, will not be permitted inside any other University buildings.

Students with disabilities who require the use of a Service Animal or an Emotional Support Animal must follow the medical accommodations guidelines as outlined above to request the presence of the animal in University housing. The Medical Accommodations Review Committee will consider the accommodation request and determine whether the request may be granted. Each request is reviewed on a case-by-case basis. The needs of the individual, the animal, and the impact on the greater residential community will all be considered when making a decision. A request must be made for the animal each academic year. An additional housing agreement will be required to outline responsibilities for the student who is granted permission to have the animal.


Students who are transferring, withdrawing, or graduating early should submit an On-Campus Housing Withdrawal Form. The vacated space must be left clean and ready for occupancy.


All students living in Bryant University residence halls are subject to the terms and conditions of the University’s policies governing student conduct and are responsible for knowing and observing University regulations and procedures. Failure to comply may result in disciplinary action and/or removal from university housing.

Terms and Conditions of the Occupancy and Board Contract


The safety of each student is of paramount concern to the University, and we have formulated specific rules and regulations pertaining to fire, health and safety. Please be advised that tampering with any fire alarm or fire protection system will result in your being held financially responsible for any damages. Along with financial responsibility, should the circumstances warrant, you could be placed under arrest for tampering with life safety systems.


Residential Life staff and/or the Fire & Safety Coordinator will document individuals and/or areas that are in violation of standards regarding fire, health and safety policies and laws. Students will be held accountable for their actions as well as the condition of their room and suite.

Should a Fire, Health and Safety citation be issued, the following sanctions may be applied:

First Offense—up to a $250.00 Fire, Health and Safety citation per violation at the designation of the Community Director. Covered smoke detectors will result in an automatic $250.00 fine for the 1st offence.  (Candles will be confiscated and destroyed with no compensation to the owner.)

Second Offense—up to a $500.00 Fire, Health and Safety Citation per violation. Repetitive violations will be considered in determining whether the offending student is permitted to reside in University housing.

Third Offense and beyond— Fire, Health and Safety Citations and sanctions per violation will be determined at the discretion of the hearing officer.

The following items are not to be tampered with or obstructed under any circumstances: heat sensors, smoke detectors, fire alarm pull stations, sprinkler heads, sprinkler piping, fire horns, fire extinguishers, and fire extinguisher cases. Should you have a problem or suspect that there is a problem with any of the above devices, please call Department of Public Safety or notify your Resident Assistant immediately. The misuse or the replacement of a missing or misused fire extinguisher will result in a monetary fine with possible disciplinary consequences. Should no one be found to be solely responsible, a fine will be applied to all residents of the unit, suite, floor, hall, or townhouse. Any flame source inside residence halls or townhouses is banned, including but not limited to candles, cigarettes, e-cigarettes, “vapes,” or other smoking material, incense, propane or charcoal grills. Candles are prohibited from ownership or use inside the residence halls and townhouses.

Fires: There is up to a $1000 fine for persons who start a fire which threatens the safety and security of anyone on campus or causes damage to University property or who maliciously activates a fire alarm system (e.g., pulling an alarm station) or portable fire extinguisher which results in the activation of the fire alarm system.

Grills: Outdoor cooking is permitted only in the barbecue pits provided by the University and in the rear of the townhouse units using a self-contained portable grill. These grills must be a minimum of 10 feet away from the townhouse and attended to when in use. No grills or propane tanks may be stored inside University halls. One grill is permitted per Townhouse unit.

The Rhode Island fire law: Interference with Fire Alarm Apparatus clause states that: “Every person who unlawfully and without just cause willfully or knowingly, tampers with, interferes with or in any way impairs any public fire alarm apparatus, wire or associated equipment, shall be guilty of a felony and upon conviction thereof, shall be punished by a fine of not less than $800 or more than $5,000 or shall be imprisoned for not less than l nor more than 5 years, or both.” Individuals will be held responsible for any of this equipment that may be located in their living areas.

Smoking: Smoking, including hookah, vapes, and e-cigarettes is prohibited within 50 feet of all University facilities.


The following guidelines and what to leave at home are in place to ensure a safe and healthy environment in the residence halls.

Kitchen Appliances: The following appliances are allowed in all residence halls:
Coffee makers
Single-use Keurig machines because all heating equipment is inside the machine, and it shuts off when done. We do not allow the “multi-cup” coffee makers.
Microwave Ovens / Refrigerators
“Micro-fridge” (tandem microwave/mini fridge) units are allowed in all residence halls. Standard microwaves are allowed in townhouse units.

Electrical Outlets: No 2-prong extension cords, outlet splitters, or three way “octopus plugs” are allowed in the residence halls or townhouses. Only 3 prong U.L. approved extension cords which contain a circuit break are permitted. No more than two items may be plugged into the same electrical outlet.

Heating Vents: The heating vents in rooms and suites are to remain unobstructed. Blocking heating vents causes an imbalance in the HVAC system and may result in a triggered fire alarm; a fine and/or disciplinary action will occur. If you have problems with your heat, submit a work request through the online maintenance system.

Fire Drills/Alarms: As required by law, there will be periodic unannounced fire drills throughout the year. Vacate the building through the nearest exit upon hearing the alarm and maintain a minimum distance of 50 feet from the building. Law requires evacuation in the event of an alarm; disciplinary action and/or fines may result from non-compliance. Per § 23-28.12-36 Fire alarm systems – Fire drills – Penalties:

(b)(1) In colleges, universities, postsecondary institutions, and residence facilities in public schools or private schools there shall be at least four (4) drills or rapid dismissals during the academic year for each school building or residence facility, at least two (2) of which shall be held between the months of September through December. The remaining two (2) drills shall be held between the months of January through June. Any college, university, or postsecondary institution that holds a summer session shall hold a drill or rapid dismissal during the first (1st) full week of the summer session.

(2) At least one drill or rapid dismissal shall be obstructed so that at least one or more exits or stairways in the school building or dormitory are blocked off or not used.

(c) For purposes of this section, “residence facility” means a dormitory, fraternity, sorority, or any other type of residence hall, whether on campus or off campus, owned or leased by a college, university, postsecondary institution, public school, or private school with accommodations for twenty (20) or more students.

False Fire Alarms: Each residence hall will be responsible for the secure and appropriate use of its fire alarm system. Alarms may be charged to the residents of each building or townhouse block, or to the individual responsible when properly identified and as determined by Smithfield Fire and/or University Officials. Students are expected to help prevent false alarms and should report any tampering of fire safety equipment to their Resident Assistant, their Community Director, or directly to the Department of Public Safety.

Holiday Decoration: All decoration policies will be supplied at the designation and approval of the Vice President for Student Affairs/Dean of Students or designee.  Live trees and plants greater than 3 feet are prohibited.

Wall and Ceiling Decorations: No more than 1/3 of a wall in a room or suite shall be covered. Absolutely nothing is allowed to cover or hang from the ceilings, obstruct passageways, cover windows, or fire safety equipment. No tapestries, flags, etc. can be hung stretching from ceiling to floor. Empty alcohol containers may not be used as wall decorations. Social Greek Organizations residing in designated Greek housing may display a banner no larger than 3 feet x 3 feet in their suite window. Alcohol advertisements or paraphernalia may not be displayed in windows. The Office of Residential Life reserves the right to have students remove items from display in the windows and hanging banners, flags, etc. outside of windows is prohibited.

Room/Suite/Townhouse Capacity: In Charleston House, Richmond House, Kilcup House, Westerly House, Hopkinton House, Exeter House, Coventry House, Scituate House, Tiverton House, Providence House, Jamestown House, Cumberland House, Lincoln House, Newport House, Warren House, Bristol House, and Barrington House the individual room capacity is eight (8) people. In the suite areas of Charleston House, Richmond House, Kilcup House, Westerly House, Hopkinton House, Exeter House, Coventry House, Scituate House, Tiverton House, Providence House, Jamestown House, Cumberland House, Lincoln House, Newport House, and Barrington House, the suite capacity is fifteen (15).  Double rooms in Bristol House and Warren House have a capacity of eight (8) people.  Natural triple rooms have a capacity of eight (8) people, and natural quad rooms have a capacity of ten (10) people.  The townhouse unit capacity is twenty (20) people.

Trash & Recycling: Each living area has a responsibility to dispose of trash & recyclables properly in designated locations. Residents are not permitted to leave their trash outside their hallway doors. There are specific instructions for each residential area. It is the responsibility of each resident to familiarize themselves with the set of instructions which applies to their living area. Citations/fines may be issued to individual(s) or floors in violation of University policies regarding proper trash/recycling disposal.

Beds: All beds on campus must be on the floor without any modifications.

Bunking of Beds: Campus Management staff are the only authorized persons who are able to bunk beds. Students who wish to have their beds bunked should contact the Office of Residential Life to have their request submitted.

Room Exits: The ability to enter and exit a room or suite must be through a clear and unobstructed path at all times.

Bryant Student ID: Students are required to carry their student ID with them at all times.

Locking of the main doors: Residence Hall and Townhouse doors are locked at all times. Propping doors to a residence hall or Townhouse may result in disciplinary action. Residents are expected to lock their doors and are responsible for the cost of any damage or theft due to negligence of tampering with locking mechanisms.

Thefts and Damages: The University provides locks on rooms, suites, townhouses and front doors of the residence halls. Most thefts and damages to property occur because of unlocked doors. In the event that you experience a loss or theft, immediately notify your Resident Assistant and report the matter to the Department of Public Safety.

Screens and Windows: Screens in all areas are not to be removed under any circumstances. If your screen is vandalized, stolen, or falls out, notify your Resident Assistant immediately. Tampering with or removing screens could result in disciplinary action. Windows may not be used as a form of entrance or exit.

Institutional Signs

Institutional signs are installed by the University to provide safety, directions, parking and general order for the campus. It is considered theft to take any institutional sign from its appointed place. Institutional signs found in living spaces become the responsibility of the occupants. Persons found in possession of damaged institutional signs also assume responsibility for the current replacement cost(s) of the sign(s)


Administrative searches of University rooms or vehicles may be granted by the Vice President for Student Affairs/Dean of Students or designee when evidence can be given, based on direct knowledge or reasonable belief, that there is a violation of University regulations. Such searches may result in disciplinary action or criminal prosecution against the offender. Room and vehicle searches may also be conducted by law enforcement agencies and University officials under the following circumstances: incidental to a lawful arrest; with a signed warrant presented by a law enforcement agency or court official; during exigent circumstances; or with the consent of the/a person having legal control of the room or vehicles to be searched.

With suspicion of a policy violation, staff of Residential Life may ask a student upon entering a residence hall, to open a carried item for inspection (ex. backpacks, storage bins, laundry bags, etc.).


  • ID/Access control cards are fabricated and distributed from the Fisher Student Center Information Center on the 1st floor.
  • All residential units have an access control system on the outside doors.
  • Residents are issued an access control/ID card by the Fisher Student Center Information Center. Keys are issued by Facilities at the beginning of each academic semester.
  • Resident students should carry their ID card and room key with them at all times.
  • Failure to return the room key upon check out will result in a charge to the student’s account.
  • For lost keys, residents must request a new key from the Office of Residential Life. For lost ID cards, residents must request a new card at the Information Center in the Fisher Student Center.
  • There is a $100.00 fee paid for lost keys, and/or a $30 charge for lost access control/ID cards.
  • If a lock change is requested, required, or in any way deemed necessary, the resident(s) may be assessed a charge to their student account.
  • Room keys are not to be duplicated. The cost for damages to locks or access control devices are assessed to the residents of the townhouse/hall and include the price of the lock plus labor.
  • Room keys and access control ID cards are not transferable. When a change in room assignment has occurred, an electronic room change authorization form issued from the Office of Residential Life must be presented to the Lock Shop along with the key to the room which has been vacated. The locksmith will then reissue the proper key.


If a student is locked out of their room, they should contact the Department of Public Safety who will dispatch an officer or Residential Life staff member as needed. The student will need to show their ID card for the room to be unlocked and will be expected to produce their key upon entering the room. The Department of Public Safety will assess a charge of $10 for a second through fifth occurrence and charge of $25 for every occurrence thereafter. This applies throughout all academic sessions and residential periods. Repeated lockouts may result in disciplinary action.

Personal Property Insurance

University Property Insurance
The University’s insurance program provides the University with insurance to cover damage to our building structures. It does not provide coverage for contents or personal property.

Personal Property Insurance
Students, resident directors and resident assistants may purchase inexpensive personal property insurance for personal belongings while on campus directly through National Student Services Inc. The University recommends a personal property policy be purchased with a $100 deductible for a $5,000 limit with an additional $100,000 liability coverage for as low as $15 a month. We highly recommend this insurance as the University does not insure student personal property.

Last Modified: September 14, 2022