Location: MRC wing
Undergraduate Academic Advising is a collaborative educational process between students and their advisors to meet essential learning outcomes, ensure student success, and outline the steps for achieving long-term academic, personal, and career goals. This advisor/ student partnership requires participation and involvement of both the advisor and the student as it is built over the student’s entire educational experience at the university. Students can find their assigned advisor on their Banner student profile.
Through participation in academic advising students will:
- Demonstrate the ability to make effective decisions concerning their degree and career goals.
- Develop an educational plan for successfully achieving their goals and select courses each term to progress toward fulfilling that educational plan.
- Demonstrate an understanding of the value of higher education.
- Utilize the resources and services on campus to assist them in achieving their academic, personal, and career goals.
- Be able to accurately read and effectively utilize a degree evaluation in their educational planning.
- Create a path to graduate in a timely manner based on their educational plan.
The Academic Center for Excellence (ACE) & The Writing Center
Location: Unistructure 275
Annually, members of the Academic Center for Excellence (ACE) and Writing Center Staff hold over 21,000 appointments with Bryant students. The Academic Center for Excellence (ACE) and the Writing Center are dedicated to helping all Bryant University students achieve their goal of academic success.
Academic Center for Excellence
Our goal at ACE is to help students become self-reliant, independent, confident learners so that they may successfully meet the demands of their chosen academic curricula. This is achieved through our internationally accredited peer tutoring program and study skills instruction by our professional staff. Group sessions as a mode of instruction are encouraged, since teamwork is typical in the workplace and graduate school. The staff engages in a partnership with students to help them achieve their goals. Professional staff members, peer tutors, and faculty work together to foster a supportive learning environment.
The Writing Center
Effective written communication is essential throughout an individual’s education and career. The Writing Center offers students assistance in both personalized and workshop settings. Peer Writing Consultants and professional staff help students with papers for any course. The Writing Center’s purpose is to help students develop as writers by helping them recognize their writing strengths and challenges. The staff teaches writing as a process, and is prepared to assist students at any stage.
Academic Services for Student Athletes
The Academic Center for Excellence, in partnership with the Department of Athletics, and Undergraduate Advising provides tailored assistance for the unique needs of student-athletes. Students in our Division I athletic programs have challenging schedules and often need additional help finding a balance between the Student Services demands of athletics and academics. ACE provides these students support with general study skills, time management and overall organization.
Student-Athlete study hall requirements can be fulfilled using any of ACE’s services; tutoring, writing center, learning specialist appointments and time spent in the student-athlete quiet study hall.
Academic Services for International Students and English Language Learners
The Academic Center for Excellence and the Writing Center offer specialized services for international students and English language learners to help them increase their academic confidence and improve their performance as Bryant students, preparing them for the global job market.
Services include assistance with adjusting to academic life at Bryant and in the United States; taking advantage of ACE and Writing Center academic support services; navigating the variety of support services available to international students on campus; developing study skills for college success; improving written and oral language skills; and setting goals for academic improvement.
Services for Students with Disabilities
Bryant University supports students who self-identify with disabilities and provide documentation of their disability from an appropriate source. Bryant University professional staff members serve as advocates for students with disabilities, and assist them in achieving equal access to all University programs and services. Our services are provided by three departments to ensure assistance from the most qualified professional. Therefore, if students have disabilities that may require support, it is incumbent upon the student to contact the designated office. If a student is unsure of whom to contact, or has been diagnosed with disorders/disabilities that must be addressed by two or more offices, please start with one professional on the list. Our staff persons will then work as a team to address accommodations and support
- Neurodevelopmental Disabilities (Learning Disabilities, Attention Deficit Disorders, and Autism Spectrum Disorders) Students seeking support and/or academic accommodations may contact Dr. Marie Saddlemire, Assistant Director of the Academic Center for Excellence (ACE) and coordinator of Access Services. Prospective, accepted, or current students may schedule a meeting by calling ACE at 401-232-6746.
- Physical Disabilities (short-term and chronic medical condition)Students seeking support and/or accommodations may contact John Denio, Associate Vice President for Student Affairs at 401-232-6046 or email: firstname.lastname@example.org. Individuals with permanent or temporary physical disabilities who wish to obtain handicapped parking passes should contact the Department of Public Safety 401-232-6001.
- Mental Health, Behavioral Health or Psychiatric Disorders Students seeking support and/or accommodations may contact Dr. Noelle Harris, Assistant Dean and Director of Counseling and Religious and Spiritual Life, at 401-232-6045.